Thursday 11 April 2013

Classic Lolita: Subtle Elegance

I'm so sorry I didn't post anything yesterday. To make up for it, I'm going to post two entries today, the first being this one and a second focusing on a specific accessories, this particular time being a parasol. In future, I'll try not to let this happen, but I guess I got distracted and forgot. Again, I'm very sorry that I allowed this to happen and I promise to try harder to stick to my word in future.

Classic Lolita: Subtle Elegance

Classic Lolita, while one of the main four types, is similar to Gothic Lolita but different in enough ways to warrant it being one of the big influences of the Lolita subculture. Classic Lolitas are seen as the bridge between Gothic and Sweet Lolitas. While they are less macabre than the Gothic and less childish than the Sweet, they maintain the same sense of elegance both styles can have and can be seen as a more sophisticated and subtle style, perhaps best for those unsure if they wish to be quite so noticeable as other Lolitas.

The use of muted colours yet intricate designs, Classic Lolita is the more mature style of the four main types. Their clothes take a lot of inspiration from rococo, regency and Victorian eras, especially of the well-dressed upper classes, the dapper gentlemen and elegant ladies of those times. Shoes and accessories are more practical and less whimsical, though intricate designs are still a common part of any Classic Lolita's outfit. Makeup follows the same principles as Sweet Lolita makeup, but the colours used are less bright shades.

Classic Lolita and Aristocrat Lolita are very closely related. Both take parts of the old styles to create something classy and worthy of the upper classes of the time. It gives off an air of the sophisticated, while still maintaining a degree of child-like cuteness to it. Some brands to look out for if you're interested are Juliette et Justine, Innocent World, Victorian Maiden, Triple Fortune, and Mary Magdalene.

I must admit, I'm finding this particular entry quite difficult to write, as I lack the experience with it to fully grasp every aspect of it. I'd be happy if someone could tell me more so I can write a much better entry later on, but for now, this will have to do. All I have left to really say is that if you are interested in Lolita fashion, but feel you cannot commit to the more child-like aspects of it, Classic Lolita may be a perfect fit for you, combining maturity with Lolita style.

Related Lolita styles: Gothic, Shiro, Kuro, Gothic, Princess, Sweet, Oji, Wa, Qi, Casual
Notable media with Classic Lolita: Couldn't say.
Recommended pieces for Sweet Lolita: dark glasses, top hats, long coats, solid colour schemes, flat shoes, Victorian-style jewelry and dresses, black silhouette

No comments:

Post a Comment